Eckington School has excellent links with universities throughout year 7 – 11 and in our sixth form our students benefit from a range of activities which support their transition to Higher Education.
We work very closely with Sheffield Hallam and Sheffield University but also work with other universities throughout the year such as Derby University, Nottingham University and Cambridge University.
In Y7 all students are invited to visit Sheffield Hallam University for a tour of the site and a workshop.
In Y8, all students have a 1 hour university talk from Sheffield Hallam University about the different types of courses that they can study at University. We also have a small number of students who take part in STEM projects which are linked to local universities such as Nottingham and Derby.
In Y9, our provision becomes more tailored and specific as we invite a number of students to embark on the following programmes: The University of Sheffield Mentoring programme and Discover US programme and The Brilliant Club. We also have another trip, for selected students, where they visit Sheffield Hallam University.
In Y10 we continue to offer The University of Sheffield Mentoring programme and Discover US programme. All students also receive another 1 hour university talk from Sheffield Hallam University.
In Y11 students receive a more tailored talk about Higher Education, University life and student finance
In Year 9,10 and 11 we also have representatives from Sheffield Hallam and/or HEPP at our raising achievement evenings so that parents can obtain information about higher education.
Sixth Form students attend open days and taster days at a number of universities. Year 12 students also take part in workshops in school with ambassadors from: Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield and Sheffield Hallam Universities.
Other subject-specific links with universities include:
- A Level Science students visit Sheffield University to synthesise paracetamol
- Y12 EPQ students develop their research skills at Sheffield Hallam University
- English Language students attend Sheffield University visiting linguist David Crystal
- Psychology visit to psychology conference at Nottingham Playhouse
- Sociology visit to Crimicon at Birmingham University
- HEPP group gives workshops on HE
- All of Y12 visit Derby University during UCAS / Careers Week
Other post-16 Opportunities
- Our Sixth Form students are encouraged to apply for programmes at the University of Sheffield which help them to learn about different professions, including:
- SOAMS (for Medicine)Discover the Arts and Humanities
- Discover Architecture
- Discover Law
- ADOPT (for Dentistry)
- Raising Opportunities
Eckington School also supports the ITT (Initial Teacher Training) programmes at Sheffield Hallam University. We work alongside the Sheffield Teaching School Alliance based at Silverdale School in Sheffield as well as the Modern Languages SCITT. The departments involved in these schemes at the moment are English, Mathematics, Science, Business Studies and MFL.